Yield: 12 servings. The original recipe for the world famous Austrian torte "Sachertorte" is a secret. However, a number of
copycat recipes have been published. Our recipe gives a cake similar to the velvety cake you can have
at Hotel Sacher in Vienna. Please note that the cake should be assembled 1-2 days before serving to become moist.
Our version of "Sachertorte"
Ingredients4 oz (120 g) semisweet dark chocolate (40-50% cocoa)
¾ cup (165 g) sugar
½ cup (1.2 dl) vegetable oil
1 cup (2.4 dl or 110 g) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons (0.45 dl) water
Ingredients for Glace and Frosting12 oz (350 g) apricot jam
2 tablespoons butter
7 oz (200 g) semisweet dark chocolate (40-50% cocoa)
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F (Gas mark 4 or 180 deg C) and grease a 9 inch (23 cm) cake tin, lightly dust with flour.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and melt it with the water in a double boiler (over hot water).
- Separate egg whites and egg yolks. With an electric mixer whisk the eggs whites until forming stiff peaks, add gradually half of the sugar while mixing.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg yolks with the remaining sugar for one minute using the electric mixer. Add gradually the vegetable oil, one tablespoon at a time, whisk well between each time oil has been added. Add the melted chocolate and mix well. Transfer to the bowl containing the whisked egg whites.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder, add vanilla extract. Fold everything carefully together using a spoon or a rubber spatula.
- Transfer to the cake tin and bake at 350 degrees until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, approximately 45 to 60 minutes.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin, it is recommended to place it into a refrigerator for at least one hour before slicing. When completely cold, remove the top of the cake, and slice the cake through the middle to make two layers.
- Use half of the jam to sandwich the two layers together. Coat the torte thinly with the remainder of the jam. If possible, wrap the cake with plastic and put it into the refrigerator for 1-3 days before adding the chocolate icing.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and melt it with butter in a double boiler (over hot water).
- Let the mixture cool to room temperature, and spread it evenly over the torte.
- Place the torte in the refrigerator to harden the frosting.