French Chocolate Cake (Flourless)Yield: 12 servings
Ingredients:7 oz (200 g) semisweet chocolate (45-50 % cocoa)
4/5 cup (200 g) butter
1 cup (220 g) sugar
4 eggs, separated
- Preheat oven to 350deg F (Gas mark 4 or 180 deg C).
- Line a 9 in (23 cm) cake tin with greaseproof or other non-stick paper and grease the tin.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and melt it with butter over hot water.
- Beat the egg yolks with half of the sugar.
- Fold in the melted butter and chocolate mixture.
- Beat egg whites until frothy by using an electric mixer; gradually add the remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Bake at 350 degrees until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, approximately 40 minutes.
- Use a knife to separate the cake from the non-stick paper. Please observe that the cake is quite sticky!