Yield: 4-5 servings.
Ingredients4 to 6 dried pasilla chilies (or other types of black, dried chilies)
1 can chopped tomatoes
¾ cup (2 dl) chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup (2.4 dl) chicken broth
¼ cup toasted sesame seeds
3 tablespoons raisins
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon ground pepper
½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoons ground coriander
2 oz (60 g) bittersweet chocolate (70-85%)
salt to taste
- Soak the dried chilies in hot water until soft. Remove stem, remove seeds if you wish a mild flavor. Chop the chilies.
- In a blender mix tomatoes, onion, garlic, chopped chilies, most of the sesame seeds, chicken broth, raisins and spices, and puree on high speed.
- Heat the sauce, cook for 10-20 minutes while stirring frequently. Add chocolate. Add salt to taste, and more spices if needed.
- Serve with chicken, sprinkle toasted sesame seeds on top; serve rice and salad with sweet peppers as side dishes.
- You may substitute most of the sesame seeds with sesame paste (tahini) and use toasted sesame seeds only to sprinkle on top.