Oxtail Stew with Chocolate(Italy)
Yield: 4-5 servings.
Ingredients4 pounds (2 kg) oxtail
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1 small piece of bacon or pancetta, chopped
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 carrot, sliced
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup (2.4 dl) wine, white or red
1 bay leaf
28 oz (800 g) canned tomatoes
5 cellery stalks, chopped
2 tablespoons raisins
Cellery leaves, chopped
1 oz (30 g) bittersweet chocolate (72 or 85% cacao)
2 tablespoons pine nuts
- Season the oxtails with salt and pepper, and brown them well on all sides in olive oil.
- Add bacon or pancetta, chopped onion, and garlic, and fry for a few minutes at medium heat.
- Add carrot, wine, tomatoes, spices; cover the casserole, and cook for 4-5 hours at low heat until the meat is tender and almost falling off the bones. Add water if necessary during cooking; the meat should be almost completely covered with liquid during cooking.
- Take the casserole from the oven, and remove most of the fat from the surface of the sauce.
- Add chopped cellery stalks and raisins, make the final seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook for about 30-45 min more.
- Add chopped cellery leaves and chocolate, and mix well when the chocolate has melted. Sprinkle with pine nuts.
- Serve with rice or polenta, or simply with good Italian bread to soak up all the sauce.