Cooking with chocolate and cocoa > Savory dishes with chocolate > Chicken with mole negro (simplified)
Chicken with Mole Negro, simplified(USA-Mexico)
Yield: 4-5 servings.
See also our more authentic mole recipe.
Ingredients3 tablespoons corn oil
8 whole chicken legs with thighs attached
2 cups (4.8 dl) hot salsa (Mexican or Tex-Mex)
1 cup (2.4 dl) chicken broth
1 sweet pepper, chopped
6 sun dried tomatoes, soaked in hot water
4 tablespoons raisins
4 tablespoons peanut butter
1 corn tortilla
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground pepper
½ teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon salt
2 oz (60 g) bittersweet chocolate
3 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Cook the chicken legs in corn oil.
- In a blender mix salsa or tomatoes, sweet pepper, sun dried tomatoes, raisins, peanut butter, tortilla, chicken broth, salt and spices, and puree on high speed.
- Heat the sauce, add chocolate and mix well.
- Add more salt or spices as needed.
- Cook the chicken legs in the sauce at low heat until tender, approximately one hour.
- Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds on the chicken, and serve with rice and a salad.
- You may use turkey or chicken breasts for a more lean dish.