Chicken with Mole Negro(Mexico)
Yield: 4-5 servings.
More mole recipes can be found at The Mole Page.
Ingredients3 tablespoons corn oil
8 whole chicken legs with thighs attached
4 dried pasilla chilies, chopped
4 dried ancho chilies, chopped
4 dried mulato chilies, chopped
1 can (14 oz / 400 g) tomatoes or 3 large, fresh tomatoes, skinned and chopped
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup (2.4 dl) chicken broth
4 tablespoons raisins
4 tablespoons peanuts, shelled and skinned
1 corn tortilla
½ teaspoon anise seeds or ¼ teaspoon ground
½ teaspoon ground pepper
½ teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon salt
2 oz (60 g) bittersweet chocolate
3 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Cook the chicken legs until tender.
- Roast the chilies, transfer to a bowl and add hot chicken broth. Soak until tender.
- Roast onion, garlic and peanuts.
- In a blender mix tomatoes, chilies, onion, garlic, raisins, peanuts, tortilla, chicken broth, salt and spices, and puree on high speed.
- Heat the sauce, add chocolate and mix well when the chocolate has melted.
- Add more salt or spices as needed.
- Cook the chicken legs in the sauce at low heat until cooked through while stirring, approximately 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and serve with rice and a salad.
- You may use turkey or chicken breasts for a more lean dish.